Thursday, March 8, 2012

The Coat

When I was a rising star, or so I thought, I dressed the part.  I bought most of my clothes at a men’s clothier in downtown Hartford.  They were the equivalent of Brooks Brothers before Brooks Brothers became Mall Brothers.  Buying there was a nice experience, the clothes were very high quailty, the staff all pleasant, several knew my name.

One fall day, in the window facing Asylum Street was an overcoat.  A stunning overcoat.  Dark blue, neutra collar, decked out with a contrasting scarf.  Just the thing for those winter days waiting for the commuter bus, with the buttons needed to close it up and keep out drafts.  A little sign on the floor next to it said it all: $600.  This was about 1976.  That’s about $2,400 today.  Out of my price range for sure. 

Wasn’t long before I changed jobs, with a substantial raise.  Spring was nearly gone and I needed some slacks and went to the store.  While I was there, I asked Rich if he still had any of those coats.  Rich rotated a couple of rack and found where they were hidden away.  Did I say they?  I mean IT was hidden away.  They had one left, and it was my size and on sale for $450.  I couldn’t resist. I bought it. 

I still have it, or actually, my son has it.  I don’t wear it very often in Atlanta, we’re not that formal and it’s not that cold here, and I guess overcoats and top coats are as out of style as ties.

I also bought a fur cosack type hat made from natural beaver.  Can you think of anything warmer than putting your head inside a natural beaver?

No comments:

Post a Comment